ThreeSpires Physiotherapy offers neurological physiotherapy for patients with Dystonia. We are based in Lichfield and serve surrounding areas such as Sutton Coldfield, Tamworth, Rugeley, Walsall and Cannock. This page gives a brief overview of Dystonia and how neurological physiotherapy can be helpful.
Dystonia covers a range of disorders that cause involuntary muscle spasms and contractures of joints. At ThreeSpires Physiotherapy we understand the enormous impact this can have on patients' lives and how physiotherapy can help to improve the symptoms. Dystonia is a neurological condition in which, it is thought, that problems with the impulses from the brain cause some muscles to be overstimulated. This overstimulation causes the muscles to spasm or contract without the control of the person involved. Over time this repeated spasming and contracting of the muscles can cause them to become shortened and tighter causing joint contractures which can be painful and debilitating. At ThreeSpires Physiotherapy we can provide you with treatment to help with stretching and strengthening your muscles, improving posture and reducing pain.
There are several different types of dystonia:
1. Focal Dystonia: this affects only one particular part of the body e.g. the neck (Cervical Dystonia)
2. Segmental Dystonia: this affects parts of the body which are connected together e.g. the arm and hand.
3. Multifocal Dystonia: this affects several body parts which are not joined such as the right side of the neck and the left foot.
4. Generalised Dystonia: affecting both legs and possibly other areas.
5. Hemidystonia: affecting one side of the body.
The effects of dystonia vary according to the type of dystonia, the severity of the dystonia and also the person. Typically though symptoms include: muscle spasm, contractures, involuntary movements, poor posture and pain. At ThreeSpires Physiotherapy we can deliver neurological physiotherapy aimed at reducing the symptoms of dystonia and improving your quality of life.
Physiotherapy for dystonia aims to reduce the severity of muscle contractures and spasm in order to improve your quality of life. Our physiotherapists can provide a range of treatment options for dystonia including:
- Passive stretching and exercises to help lengthen muscle fibres, reduce spasm and prevent contractures. Our physiotherapists will be able to provide instructions on how to complete exercises and stretches independently in between physiotherapy sessions. We can also provide advice on splinting to maintain good joint posture and prevent contractures.
- Work on improving posture to improve spinal alignment and prevent any secondary complications. We can also offer advice on seating and positioning.
- Exercises to strengthen muscles and reduce the likelihood of muscle wastage.
If you or someone you know has dystonia and you would like to find out more about how neurological physiotherapy might be able to help then please get in touch. We are a home visit physiotherapy service based in Lichfield, Staffordshire and we serve anywhere within a 25 minute drive. This includes locations such as Tamworth, Sutton Coldfield, Burton, Walsall, Rugeley, Cannock, Burntwood and Brownhills. We can be contacted on 0788 428 1623 or via email at email@example.com
REQUEST A CALLBACK
Just fill in the form below and give us a quick idea of your problem/request so that we can be better prepared to help you.